By: Cynthia Miller
SANTA FE, NM – In late January, 26-year-old Alex Maestas was arrested after an hours-long standoff with a Santa Fe police SWAT team, an incident sparked by a report of a woman beaten and strangled at his home.
- House Bill 159, $3.5 million to increase reimbursement rates for domestic violence service providers.
- House Bill 154, $350,000 for offender intervention programs.
- House Bill 203, $2 million for sexual assault victims services.
- House Bill 53, $145,000 for human trafficking victims services.
- Senate Bill 123, $1.2 million for the Albuquerque Police Department to process evidence in decades-old sexual assault cases.
- Senate Bill 202, $75,000 to create child sexual abuse programs.
- Senate Bill 31, $100,000 to train teachers and other school workers how to identify and report signs that a student has been sexually assaulted.
Article Source: Domestic violence advocates tout progress of strangulation bills