By Kaylee Tornay
A man suspected of strangling and assaulting a female at his east Medford apartment June 12 was arrested by Medford police after a four-hour standoff that began Monday night and ended early Tuesday morning.
Charles Mott, 35, remains lodged in the Jackson County Jail on charges of domestic violence assault, strangulation, menacing, harassment and interfering with making a report. His bail is set at $30,000.
Medford police Lt. Mike Budreau said that officers searched for Mott for five days in a “cat and mouse game” after responding to a domestic disturbance call June 12.
The victim, who told officers that Mott took her phone to prevent her from calling police when he fled the apartment, said that he had menaced her with a knife, threatening to kill her. She also told officers he had strangled her until she almost passed out and punched her in the face, according to court records.
She sought medical treatment on her own, Medford police said. Officers began searching for Mott, who has a December 2007 conviction for sexual abuse, assault and failure to report as a sex offender in Jackson County.
Medford police returned to the apartment in the Woodland Townhouses at 700 Crater Lake Ave. several times and also searched for Mott at work, but he didn’t show up, Budreau said.
When officers knocked on Mott’s apartment door Monday night, they knew people were inside, including possibly the victim of the June 12 assault, though no one answered. They decided to wait.
Mott briefly exited onto the balcony, Medford police said, so officers evacuated nearby apartments and began negotiating with Mott to turn himself in.
“At that point, what we know is the original assault was violent, it involved a knife, he’s threatening to kill the victim,” Budreau said. “The suspect is well aware we’re looking for him. He’s aware we’re on scene, so we’re concerned about him harming her or holding her hostage.”
A SWAT team was called in, and shortly after the victim was pushed out of the apartment, police said.
Negotiators with Medford police continued to try to convince Mott to leave the apartment.
“It just wasn’t going in a promising direction,” Budreau said.
The SWAT team eventually deployed tear gas into the apartment. Mott exited at 1:01 a.m. and was taken into custody without incident.
Mott was arraigned Tuesday on charges from to the June 12 incident, but additional charges related to Monday night could be added, Budreau said.
Budreau said that anyone who believes they may be experiencing domestic abuse is encouraged to call the non-emergency dispatch line at 541-770-4784.
“Please reach out to us so we can go over some options,” he said. “We realize that they are often complex situations and we are considerate of that as well.”
To view the original post, click here…